Main menu
Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) (England & Wales) Order 2005


jml Home Page
Disability Discrimination Act 2005 in rental property
Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS) UK
Electrical Safety in Dwellings
Energy Performance Certificates for rental property
HMO's Houses in multiple occupation
How to present your rental property
How Not to present your rental property
Advice for landlords letting their property
How Do I Let My Property
Buy to Let - UK
Buy to let - Europe
Selling your Property
Landlord Rental Info
Tenants Rental Info
Renting in Ireland
Lettings jargon
Property jargon
Building Jargon
Movers check list
Property Misdescriptions Act 1991
Property Articles
Student Rental & Student insurance
Condensation problems
Rental Property Insurance for Landlords & Tenants

Landlord - Tenant - Student Insurance

Holiday Rentals

How to market a holiday home
Letting your holiday home
Renting a holiday home? Renters Advice
Northern Ireland Insurance Services via jml insurance

Holiday Home Property Insurance

Car Rental 

Car Rental Excess Insurance

Professional Property Organisations


FACT FILE - Implementation of the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) (England & Wales) Order 2005

The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) (England & Wales) Order 2005 came into force on the 1st October 2006. This order brings together a large amount of legislation relating to obligations to make premises safe. It applies to employers but also has application to common parts of HMOs and blocks of flats More details click here This information has been supplied by* PainSmith Solicitors who are a niche practice specialising in Landlord and Tenant Law. Based in Medstead in Hampshire, they are ideally situated to provide an efficient service to clients nationwide as well as those based in Central London and the Home Counties.


The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 and HMOs - Information 17 April 2007

The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 and HMOs When the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 (RRFSO) was introduced a number of groups highlighted a crucial inconsistency in the regulations. The regulations clearly stated that they applied to the common parts of HMOs but also stated, equally clearly, that they did not apply to single, private dwellings. This left landlords of properties that were basically private houses but happened to be let to three or more sharers in something of a quandary as the regulations were somewhat contradictory.

PainSmith Solicitors, in common with many other providers, advised at the time that landlords and agents should do their best to comply with the regulations in any event until the situation was clarified. It was expected that the DCLG would provide guidance early in 2007 although this has not yet been received. Simultaneously the Chief Fire Officers Association (CFOA) has convened a working group which is looking at a number of aspects of the regulations with the aim of publishing further guidance. CLICK HERE for this Legal Update from Pain Smith Solicitors*


The following information comes from

What is the fire safety reform order? It will be a consolidation of nearly all existing fire safety legislation

Who will it affect? Primarily employers and building owners but it could be anyone who has some control over premises.

What will I have to do? Mainly, carry out a fire risk assessment and act on the findings.

I have a fire certificate… will that be enough? No. Fire certificates will no longer be valid. However a fairly recent fire certificate will be a good starting point for your fire risk assessment.

Will fire precautions have to be improved? / Will it cost me anything? (Answer for both) Yes and No! If you are already fully complying with existing legislation then it should be fairly simple. If you have not kept your fire precautions up to date there may be some additional areas to look at.

Will the Fire and Rescue Service still inspect my premises? In some cases yes, particularly in higher risk premises. But they cannot carry out your fire risk assessment for you.

Guide 3 - Sleeping accommodation

Who is it for? This guide addresses sleeping accommodation for staff, common areas for residents and sleeping, dining or other accommodation for guests/residents including:

  • The common areas of houses in multiple occupation (HMO)
  • The common areas of flats and maisonettes
  • The common areas of sheltered accommodation where care is not provided
  • Holiday chalets, holiday flat complexes, camping, caravan and holiday parks (other than privately owned individual units)
  • Areas in work places where staff ‘sleeping in’ is a condition of the employment or a business requirement as in licensed premises or hotels

This guide is not intended for domestic premises, hospitals, residential care and nursing homes and prisons and other establishments where people are in lawful custody.

© Crown copyright jml Property Services hold a Core Licence C02W00008738

See also :

See also HMO's Houses in multiple occupation


*See also Understanding Business Tenancies June 2007 Click Here


See also:

Statutory code of Practise on racial equality in housing

Landlord fined £5,500 after double carbon monoxide poisoning in Hackney, London - October 2008

Many UK Landlords facing fines - Blog March 2010

High Wycombe Landlord fined for unsafe house - Blog June 2010


Back to Property Information




Want to find out what is happening in the property world?

Click Here to go to Property News


Contact Us | Privacy / Cookies Statement | Terms of Use | Site Map
Find us at | | |

jml Property Services - PO Box 80 - Princes Risborough - Buckinghamshire - HP27 0WA - England  - © 2001 - 2018 jml Property Services - All rights reserved