Main menu
Movers check list for renting or buying in the UK


jml Home Page
Disability Discrimination Act 2005 in rental property
Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS) UK
Electrical Safety in Dwellings
Energy Performance Certificates for rental property
HMO's Houses in multiple occupation
How to present your rental property
How Not to present your rental property
Advice for landlords letting their property
How Do I Let My Property
Buy to Let - UK
Buy to let - Europe
Selling your Property
Landlord Rental Info
Tenants Rental Info
Renting in Ireland
Lettings jargon
Property jargon
Building Jargon
Movers check list
Property Misdescriptions Act 1991
Property Articles
Student Rental & Student insurance
Rental Property Insurance for Landlords & Tenants

Landlord - Tenant - Student Insurance

Holiday Rentals

How to market a holiday home
Letting your holiday home
Renting a holiday home? Renters Advice
Northern Ireland Insurance Services via jml insurance

Holiday Home Property Insurance

Car Rental 

Car Rental Excess Insurance

Professional Property Organisations








jml Property Services Fact File

Check list for moving within the UK or out of the UK or to the UK from overseas


A short list of helpful hints for those who are renting or buying

If you are moving out of a property:

  • Make sure you arrange to have your mail redirected. Pick up the special form from the Post Office.
  • Pay all outstanding home bills, such as milk, newspapers or window cleaner.
  • Don't forget the gardener or domestic help if you have them.
  • On the day of the move make arrangements for young children - it may be best to organise a babysitter for the day.
  • Look after your pets by using proper pet-carrying boxes for them to travel in. The RSPCA sells low cost cardboard carrying cases for cats and puppies.

If you are moving into a property:

  • Check how everything works in your new home, especially the central heating boiler and alarm systems and where things like fuse boxes and stopcocks are.
  • Get the seller (if buying) to give you details about guarantees, contracts and instructions for appliances and fittings. (If you are renting ask the Landlord or agent for the relevant information).
  • Confirm the time that you can pick up your new keys. This is usually after 12.30 pm on the day of completion. Remember that most conveyancers don’t work Saturdays and they will also want to be able to check if the funds have been satisfactorily transferred. 
  • Arrange a time with the previous owners when you can move in – you don’t want to arrive before they’ve moved out!

  • If you are moving into rented accommodation check the move in details with the Landlord or letting agent. It is quite normal to be met at the property by a representative from an inventory company who will check you and take meter readings and release the keys to you.

  • Send out your change of address cards. Why not combine them into invitations for a housewarming party and of course invite your new neighbours as well!


People you should remember to tell that you are moving: An Alphabetical check list.

  • Bank and / or Building society

  • Broadband supplier

  • Books & magazines subscriptions

  • Credit Card companies

  • Clubs and associations

  • Doctors, dentists and opticians

  • DVLC for driving licences & local car tax office

  • Electricity, gas and water companies

  • Friends and relatives

  • Hire Purchase companies

  • Insurance companies

  • Inland Revenue Tax Office

  • Local authority for council tax (or local equivalent)

  • Motoring organisations (AA / RAC etc)

  • National savings / Premium Bonds

  • Oil / Propane gas suppliers

  • Post Office for re-direction of mail

  • Professional associations and trade unions 

  • Rental companies

  • Satellite / cable TV subscriptions

  • Schools, colleges and universities

  • Telephone companies

  • TV licence authorities

  • Your employers

    The above has been compiled to assist people with rental terminology. We advise that this information is for guidance only and cannot be relied on for accuracy and that you should consult a qualified legal representative if you require full explanation. © jml Property Services June 2005

Is your rental property insured - Landlords & Tenants? Click on logo below for more information


Additional Pages to View - Please click on the topic

Insurance advice for Landlords

Insurance Advice for Tenants

Tenants Rental Advice

Buy to Let Uk

Professional Property Organisations

How to present your rental Property

Selling your property

Do you own more than Two Rental Properties - Want to save money? Click on Logo Below

Back to Property Information


the low cost villa advertising service

Advertise your  Holiday Home Property - just £12.50 a year including VAT... CLICK HERE for Details



jml are members of the Riviera Business Club (RBC) in the Côte d'Azur France     ---


Want to find out what is happening in the property world?

Click Here to go to Property News

SEE: Personal safety for Letting Agent and Estate Agents

Contact Us | Privacy / Cookies Statement | Terms of Use | Site Map
Find us at | | |

jml Property Services - PO Box 80 - Princes Risborough - Buckinghamshire - HP27 0WA - England  - © 2001 - 2016 jml Property Services - All rights reserved