Main menu
Property Resources -Energy Performance Certificates for Rental Property


jml Home Page
Disability Discrimination Act 2005 in rental property
Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS) UK
Electrical Safety in Dwellings
Energy Performance Certificates for rental property
Gas Safety in Rental Properties
HMO's Houses in multiple occupation
How to present your rental property
How Not to present your rental property
Buy to Let - UK
Buy to let - Europe
Selling your Property
Landlord Rental Info
Tenants Rental Info
Renting in Ireland
Lettings jargon
Property jargon
Building Jargon
Movers check list
Property Misdescriptions Act 1991
Property Articles
Student Rental & Student insurance
Condensation problems
Rental Property Insurance for Landlords & Tenants

Landlord - Tenant - Student Insurance

Holiday Rentals

How to market a holiday home
Letting your holiday home
Renting a holiday home? Renters Advice
Northern Ireland Insurance Services via jml insurance

Holiday Home Property Insurance

Car Rental 

Car Rental Excess Insurance

Professional Property Organisations


Energy Performance Certificates in Let Property - Fact File

England and Wales

From the 1st October 2008 all rental properties in England and Wales with a new tenancy will be required by law to have an Energy Performance Certificate - EPC.

An Energy Performance Certificates tell you how energy efficient a home is on a scale of A-G. The most efficient homes - which should have the lowest fuel bills - are in band A. The Certificate also tells you, on a scale of A-G, about the impact the home has on the environment. Better-rated homes should have less impact through carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions. The average property in the UK is in bands D-E for both ratings. The Certificate includes recommendations on ways to improve the home's energy efficiency to save you money and help the environment.

A landlord (or landlord's agent) will be required to show the EPC to prospective tenants.The tenant will be able to see at a glance how enery efficient and environmentally friendly a particular rental property is.

They will have to be provided when any written information about the property is provided or a viewing undertaken. If neither of these occur it must be supplied before entering into a contract to let.

The certificates will be valid for 10 years. If a property has recently been purchased, it is likely to have an Energy Performance Certificate as this has formed part of the HIP (Home Information Pack) in England and Wales.There will be no need to get EPCs for current tenancies or renewals to the same tenants. A tenant cannot 'legally' move in to the property until an Energy Performance Certificate has been produced.

How do you obtain an Energy Performance Certificate?

A Domestic Enerergy Assessor (DEA) will have to be found.This can be via a letting agent, local paper, web or via one of the Landords Associations :-

NLA - National Landlords Association - More information Here

Approximate Costs:

They are ranging between £60 and £120.

Tips on making energy ratings as high as possible

  • If a boiler is over 15 years old consider replacing it. Consider a combi boiler that does not store hot water in a tank.
  • Consider installing double glazing
  • If you are purchasing new appliances (washing machines etc) look for the Energy Saving Recommended logos.
  • If your hot water tank does not have a jacket get one or replace the tank with a built on jackrt insulation.
  • Make sure the loft is well insulated
  • Consider cavity wall insulation

Penalties for non compliance

It is the responsibility of local authorities, through their Trading Standards Officers, to ensure that EPCs are in place and they will be the body that brings any proceedings for breach. On 8th February 2008 the Department for Communities and Local Government warned landlords that the Government is considering a 'fixed penalty charge' notice, which could be as much as £200 per dwelling, per day, for any landlord who fails to provide an up to date EPC to tenants

N.B. This information should not be relied on for accuracy and is presented here without the responsibility of jml Property Service and the website it is being displayed at. ©jml property Services 04-08

Top of Page


SEE ALSO: Energy Performance Certificates in Let Property - 25th September 2008, 28th August 2008, 29th January 2008 -Energy Performance Certificates Update - Commercial Properties17th March 2008

Building Energy Rating - Certificates in Ireland (BER)

Northern Ireland(EPC)

HIPS are history but EPC's are not - May 2010

Diagnostic de Performance Énergétique (DPE) - France

Changes for BER - EPC certificates from 9th January 2013


Below example of Page 1 of an Energy Performance certificate in an English rental prioperty

Top of Page



All tenants who rent a property on or after 4 January 2009 must be provided with EPC (ie new tenancies) .An individual EPC will only be valid for a period of ten years. If major works were to be undertaken during this period, building owners may choose to update the certificate, however, this is not mandatory.

Legislation for Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) for all new buildings was introduced in Scotland on 1 May 2007. For existing buildings, an EPC will be required when the property is sold or rented out to new tenants. Once in place an EPC is valid for 10 years.

The timetable for introduction is as follows:

  • Sale - dwellings - 1 December 2008
  • Sale - all other buildings- 4 January 2009
  • Rental Properties - 4 January 2009

Who can Produce an EPC? In Scotland, there is no specified qualification for energy assessors.The Scottish Government has entered into protocol with professional organisations/institutions whose members already have an understanding of the building/energy sectors. Only members of protocol organisations may produce EPCs for existing buildings. The Scottish Building Standards (SBS) has entered into protocols with The Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers, Scotland (CIBSE Scotland), The Association of Building Engineers (ABE), The Energy Institute (EI), The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), The Heating and Ventilation Contractors Association (HVCA), Building Research Establishment (BRE), National Energy Services (NES) and Elmhurst to deliver services in relation to Energy Performance Certificates.

Types of Certificate:Two certificates have been produced, one for dwellings and one for all other buildings (this includes ‘Public Buildings’). The certificates can be accessed here:

More information at © Crown copyright information on Scottish Energy Performance Certificates jml Property Services hold a Core Licence Number C02W0008738

Scottish government not delivering for landlords - 19 Nov 2008

NLA Scotland has accused the Scottish Government of failing landlords on the forthcoming introduction of Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) legislation.

With less than two months until the introduction of EPCs for Scottish rental properties, the Government is failing to meet its duty to ensure that all landlords are aware of the new regulations.

NLA Scotland is concerned that without a concerted effort to promote EPCs, there will be widespread confusion among landlords and tenants about what is required under the new rules. From 4 January 2009, landlords who do not make an EPC available to tenants at the start of a new tenancy could be hit with a fine of £5,000 and will have committed a criminal offence.

The introduction of EPCs for the Scottish private-rented sector means that prospective tenants must be given details of the energy efficiency and environmental impact of the property. NLA Scotland, which provides certificates through NLA EPCs, is calling on the Scottish Government to promote the new EPC rules as soon as possible.

Jim Parker, Chairman, NLA Scotland, said: "It is disappointing to see Scottish Government failing in its duty to keep landlords informed. The promotion of EPCs seems to have been left to the commercial providers and a significant number of landlords will be blissfully unaware of the risks of not complying with the new rules.

"All landlords starting new tenancies will need to get an EPC or face severe penalties. If the Government does not act soon to promote the legislation, thousands of landlords could find themselves unknowingly breaking the law and fined to the tune of £5,000.”

For more information about NLA EPCs, go to

Source NLA - National Landlords Association

NLA - National Landlords Association - More information Here

Top of Page

Northern Ireland

Energy Performance Certificates will be required for all property sales and rentals by the end of December 2008. Homes and commercial - when sold, built or rented will need an energy performance certificate (EPC). Public buildings will also need to display a display energy performance certificate (DEC). This initiative is the result of European legislation - the Energy Performance of Buildings Directive - which all member states must adopt.

The Department of Finance and Personnel is introducing measures in Northern Ireland to improve the energy efficiency of our buildings, including:

  • introducing energy performance certificates for properties providing A-G efficiency ratings and recommendations for improvement
  • requiring public buildings to display energy certificates
  • requiring inspections for air conditioning systems and
  • giving advice and guidance for boiler users

Top of Page


Diagnostic de Performance Energétique - DPE (Energy Performance Survey) From the 1st July 2007, these are mandatory for all sales. This survey is provided purely for information purposes (like in England and Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and The Republic of Ireland) and covers levels of energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions. Properties are rated from A to G (A represents optimal performance) and the survey is valid for 10 years. It also includes recommendations for improving energy consumption Article L134.L of the Building and Housing Code. If you are letting out your property remember The DPE - Diagnostic de Performance Énergétique should accompany any new or renewed lease agreement for a lease period of longer than four months. It is the responsibility of the property owner to have a building examined and to make any obligatory improvements.

Diagnostic de Performance Énergétique (DPE)


Looking for Property Related Topics? Search Here



Back to Property Information

See also:

Statutory code of Practise on racial equality in housing

ARLA’s Response to the Law Commission Report - August 2008 and The Law CommissionHousing: Encouraging Responsible Letting


Top of Page


Looking for Books on Property?

In Association with


Want to find out what is happening in the property world?

Click Here to go to Property News



See Landlord fined £5,500 after double carbon monoxide poisoning in Hackney, London - October 2008

SEE: Personal safety for Letting Agent and Estate Agents

Contact Us | Privacy / Cookies Statement | Terms of Use | Site Map

Find us at | | |
jml Property Services - PO Box 80 - Princes Risborough - Buckinghamshire - HP27 0WA - England  - © 2001 - 2018 jml Property Services - All rights reserved